Working With Headhunters
A recruiter, or headhunter, is skilled in finding talent either currently employed or unemployed, matching them to a job description and facilitating the hiring process. This requires a great deal of communication skill as well as strong people skills. A good recruiter can be an invaluable partner in finding and retaining the best talent.
When working with a recruiter, there are some things to do to make the process go smoothly:
- Set up a call between the hiring manager and the recruiter. Others can certainly be involved, but that direct communication is key to ensuring the right candidates are presented.
- Discuss the process up front. Don’t surprise the recruiter with parts of the process they weren’t aware of as they are representing your company to the candidates and it will look bad to the candidate.
- Be upfront with the salary range. If you have a range in mind but would like to be at the lower end, be sure the recruiter knows that.
- If a candidate isn’t right for the position, be sure to give specific reasons to the recruiter. Phrases like, “she isn’t the right fit” or “he is overqualified” don’t give the recruiter enough information to handle it differently in the future.
- Build a long term relationship with your recruiter. This person fulfills a vital role in your company in that she brings the right candidates to the table to minimize the cost of hire, get you the best possible candidates and bring in people who will be productive and contributing in a short amount of time. Forming that relationship can go a long way to achieving your hiring goals.
Copywrite 2010 Anjela Mangrum, firstname.lastname@example.org
Anjela Mangrum is the founder of Mangrum Career Solutions Inc. MCS partners with industrial and machining manufacturing businesses to source and secure mid-to-upper level talent for operations, supply chain, and engineering positions. They work to empower individual job seekers by helping them gain a competitive edge in their job search. For hiring needs contact Anjela at 513.753.3813 x101.