Supports customer’s expectations and project deadlines by designing robust machines while meeting or reducing budgeted time and costs. This position typically works with little or no assistance and supervision.
Key Job Duties
- Constructs complete detail prints from assembly drawings – includes all dimensions, plating requirements, letter designation and material descriptions; creates complete ballooned assembly drawings.
- Assists in concepting, quoting and scheduling.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, customer specs and CAD drawings.
- Develops “from scratch” designs.
- Determines sizes of purchased components.
- Maintains vendor relationships for technical support and awareness of new technologies.
- Updates prints, purchase parts lists and assembly drawings as needed.
- Analyzes speeds and times of mechanism to determine best solutions.
- Strives to reduce cost of equipment.
- Applies creative and innovative solutions to projects.
- Actively participates in “Tough Project” meetings.
- Travels to customer sites and trade shows
- Takes an active role in development of young design engineers.
- Lead engineering development of product line.
- Active in improving Engineering procedures.
- Actively participates in creating standards.
- Assists in other areas and performs additional tasks as needed.
- Design and Documentation: Applies effective design and/or documentation principles. Demonstrates attention to detail. Generates creative solutions. Translates concepts and information into accurate documentation and images. Uses feedback to modify and improve work.
- Innovation: Develops innovative approaches and ideas. Displays original thinking and creativity. Generates suggestions for improving work. Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
- Attitude/Cooperation: Displays enthusiastic outlook, pleasant manner and has positive effect on the morale of others. Establishes and maintains effective relationships. Exhibits tact, consideration and cooperation. Offers assistance and support to co-workers. Works to resolve conflicts.
- Cost Consciousness: Conserves organizational resources. Contributes to profits and revenue. Develops and implements cost saving measures. Works within approved budget.
- Initiative/Achievement: Seeks increased responsibilities. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Takes independent action to achieve goals. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Seeks self-development activities. Volunteers readily
- Problem Solving: Gathers, analyzes and presents information skillfully. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Addresses divergent opinions and develops alternative solutions. Works well in group brainstorming and problem solving situations. Achieves win-win solutions. Displays ability to influence key decision makers.
- Quality: Exhibits high standards of workmanship/performance. Final output is neat and professional in appearance. Errors/rework are rare. Applies feedback to improve performance. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Looks for ways to improve/promote quality and reduce costs.
- Quantity: Achieves established goals and/or other job expectations in a timely manner. Takes initiative to get things done. Exhibits good time management skills and strives to increase productivity. Keeps non-billable time to a minimum.
- Managing People: Provides direction and takes responsibility for subordinates' activities. Develops subordinates' skills, encourages growth and training. Makes self available to respond to questions/issues. Includes subordinates in planning, problem solving and improving processes. Provides regular performance feedback
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires trust and respect. Reacts well under pressure. Viewed as a role model. Meets goals and objectives. Takes action. Fosters cooperation and problem solving. Works to mentor and motivate others. Encourages training and development. Recognizes contributions of others.
- 2 year technical education in related field or 4 year mechanical engineering degree
- Excellent computer and CAD skills
- Excellent print reading skills
- Excellent understanding of mechanical linkages and components (i.e. bearings, sprockets, pulleys, air cylinders)
- Knowledge of the metric system, fabrication process, raw materials, plating, electrical and mechanical assembly preferred
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing or continued improvement processes preferred
Experience and/or Other Requirements:
- 5 years packaging-related experience can substitute for education or a relevant combination of education and experience will be considered
- Must be detail oriented
Salary : $70,000 – $85,000