Our client is currently seeking an Account Payable Supervisor as part of the Accounting team in their downtown Cleveland office. The candidate will manage the processing of the firm’s invoices related to both firm charges as well as client advances, and also supervise the firm’s trust payments. The candidate will supervise two full time staff and report to the Accounting Manager. The AP Supervisor will act as the first layer of invoice review and will direct the scheduling of approved invoices for payment. Responsibilities also include reviewing/auditing selected expense reports, administering various aspects of the travel program, trust accounting, managing the corporate credit program and automated expense management software.
Job Duties Include:
- Supervise, leads and mentors AP staff in preparation of payable schedules, acquiring verification and authorization for release of payments, issuing and recording vendor payments, maintenance of vendor ledger accounts, negotiating payment arrangements with vendors, issuing 1099s, and managing third party cost loads such as Amex, FedEx, UPS, etc.
- Drives the full cycle A/P process, including reviewing and entering invoice/expense reports, all payment processing, and all month end and year end AP related reconciliations and responsibilities
- Performing daily accounts payable activities such as matching invoices to purchase orders, invoice coding, data entry, check runs, account reconciliation, researching accounts, and working with vendors to resolve discrepancies.
- Manages Purchase Card and Travel & Expense processing, approvals, and ensures total compliance with policies
- Taking phone calls and responding to any questions from departments or vendors as it relates to invoice payments.
- Maintaining frequent contact with internal and external customers in order to address any billing issues.
- Use good judgment when dealing with exceptions to the firm’s payment policy and inform Manager of gray areas in the policy (e.g. do not delay a payment that would cause a member of the firm or the firm to suffer a hardship).
- Assisting other accounting personnel in departmental initiatives.
- Maintains accounts payable files in a timely and organized manner.
- Must demonstrate a high level of integrity and be able to maintain absolute confidentiality with key information/data.
- Exhibits excellent customer service and communication skills, as well as a positive attitude towards vendors and team members
- Must be able to receive candid feedback and quickly make the necessary adjustments to improve performance.
Associate’s/Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and/or equivalent experience preferred. 3-5 years previous work experience in full cycle accounts payable in a high-volume, fast-paced environment required, with a minimum of one year in a supervisory role with direct reports. Knowledge of general accounting principles, standard accounts payable policies, procedures, and regulations and the ability to understand and interpret vendor invoices, statements, and other requests for payment, are essential to the position. Excellent computer skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports, are required. Law firm experience and working within the Aderant and/or Elite systems is preferred.