Plan, organize and execute projects, under Manager’s direction, related to the design and development of new products and tooling or modifications to existing tooling. The Senior Design Engineer ensures that the design conforms to the tooling specifications, is manufacturable at estimated costs, and is technically sound. The engineer will prepare conceptual and working layouts and oversee or prepare final layouts, assembly and detail drawings including bills of material. As well as, coordinate the fabrication, assembly, testing and debugging of prototype tooling, production tooling, and equipment. The engineer ensures that projects are completed on schedule and within budget, and result in commercial equipment that operates in accordance with specifications. The Senior Design Engineer needs to be aware of and understand design criteria covering a range of various materials that we injection mold, extrude and thermoform, i.e., PS, PP, PS/EVOH/PE, PS/PE, HPDE, PET, XT, etc. The engineer will also manage projects related to the design and development of new equipment automation, in addition to other projects which may be assigned by Manager.
- Prepare project plans and schedules for the development of new products and tooling, or modification of existing tooling in support of the company’s market objectives.
- Create conceptual designs and ensure the designs conform to specifications, are completed on schedule, are manufacturable at estimated costs, and are technically sound.
- Prepare conceptual and working layouts and oversee or prepare final layouts, assembly and detail drawings including bills of material.
- Coordinate the fabrication, assembly, testing and debugging of prototype tooling, production tooling, and equipment.
- Ensure tooling and/or equipment is manufactured within budget, according to specs, and on schedule.
- Arrange for the manufacture of samples for customers to evaluate product.
- Provide technical advice, counsel, and direction to management and plant personnel on equipment and/ or tooling and related matters.
- Manage projects so that they are completed on schedule and within budget and result in commercial tooling and equipment that operates in accordance with specifications.
- Plan and organize own day-to-day activities, and project team activities to ensure that operational responsibilities are satisfactorily performed, that special projects and assignments are effectively completed, and performance standards are achieved.
- Maintain project and engineering documentation (electronic and hardcopy) including revision control.
- Prepare project appropriations and maintain appropriate documentation regarding status of projects including regular reports on project status, problems, and developments.
- Prepare operating, maintenance, and troubleshooting manuals related to tooling and equipment.
- Work with and/ or direct project activity at all manufacturing Plants.
- Maintain effective and productive relationships with superiors, peers, Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, and other company personnel, so that coordination of effort is optimal and so as to facilitate achievement of standards of performance. Maintain effective and productive relationships with customers and vendors.
- Be a mentor by assisting and/or providing direction in the development of the Engineering staff relative to product, tooling and/or equipment design.
- Continue to develop and broaden technical skills and knowledge so as to maximize effectiveness.
- Responsible for reporting food packaging safety problems to plant management.
- In the incumbent’s absence these responsibilities will be transferred to a Design Engineer.
Creative Conceptual Skills; Engineering Theory and Analysis; Tool and Machine Design; Plastic Thermoforming; Plastics Extrusion, Injection Molding, IML, Managing Suppliers; Project Scheduling and Management; Written and verbal communication skills; Supervisory skills; Ability to use precision measuring devices; 3D Modeling/ CAD Skills (AutoCAD and SolidWorks preferred); Microsoft Office
EDUCATION & EXPERIIENCE:
Bachelors of Science Technical Degree; Mechanical Engineering preferred. Work related experience will be considered (minimum of 10 years experience with some college coursework/ technical training).
7-10 years of Engineering Project Management, Tool Design, Equipment Design, Product Design, and Manufacturin