Apply for the Director of Engineering (Motors & Drives) position
Director of Engineering (Motors & Drives)
Located in a highly rated suburb of Austin, Texas. (Relocation assistance available.)
Commensurate with experience and is a combination of salary and bonus potential.
The Director of Engineering reports to the Company President and is responsible for developing and executing the company’s technology strategy for Industrial Motors & Drives and leads Engineering, R&D and Product Development. The company has a longstanding reputation for being the world leader in their industry. Employees at this company enjoy an average tenure of 18 years.
- Provides leadership to establish short and long term objectives, plans, and policies driving product and technology development and project execution in support of company’s growth and profitability.
- In conjunction with Business Development, builds product and technology roadmaps, and develops and executes plans to achieve the roadmap objectives.
- Engages in product development and engineering efforts, providing technical leadership and leading global engineering initiatives as required.
- Prepares and manages engineering and R&D operating and capital budgets consistent with P&L and company financial goals.
- Expands the company’s technical knowledge and engineering capabilities by developing staff and recruiting technical talent in support of technology and product development objectives.
- Establishes and manages KPIs and conduct regular performance reviews.
- Sustains a continuous improvement program to reduce department errors, increase productivity, and refine design tools.
- Ensures timely execution of engineering orders, and product development projects within budget.
- Manages technical computing resources by reviewing department needs, staying abreast of new developments, and preparing annual budgets.
- Stays abreast of technological developments relevant to company’s business and takes necessary steps to assess technology readiness and applicability to company’s products and services.
- Manages company’s IP portfolio determining IP protection strategy, and working with patent attorneys on patent filings.
- Engages universities and government agencies in the development of business cases and technology development proposals, and securing funding and resources for R&D projects.
- Represents the company in business and technical venues, before customers, stakeholders and the public.
- Ensures company’s engineering know-how and technical data is securely maintained and retrieved.
- Maintains engineering compliance to ISO 9001 and ISO 14000 standards and with company affirmative action plan and company safety procedures.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience managing multidisciplinary engineering teams developing and designing medium voltage variable frequency drives and/or medium and high voltage custom industrial electric machines in the multi megawatt range.
- At least fifteen years of experience designing and/or building medium voltage power converters or multi megawatt electric rotating machines.
- Experience in manufacturing and/or field support of custom electrical equipment is an asset.
- Managerial experience must include budget preparation and management, P&L management, project planning and management, KPI formulation and tracking, and personnel development.
- Experience managing continuous improvement initiatives is an asset.
- Proven track record driving business growth through product development and NPI, and developing and executing product roadmaps.
- Experience interacting with universities and government agencies in building business cases for R&D work and funding.
- Experience managing IP portfolio and patent process.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for medium voltage power converters and electric
machines is a plus.
- US Citizenship is required for work on government contracts
Required Education & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. Master’s or PhD. degree preferred.
- Ability to confidently represent the company in technical or business venues.
- Strong people skills.
- Sense of urgency.
- Ability to understand, summarize and communicate complex topics in accessible and clear terms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Keywords: R&D, Engineering, Product Development, technology roadmaps, IP portfolio, medium voltage, variable frequency drives, custom industrial electric machines, P&L, power converters, multi megawatt electric rotating machines, Profit and Loss
How to Express Interest – Click the Apply button and follow the online instructions.