Do you have experience working on a vegetable farm? Do you have solid leadership experience? Do you want to join a very successful family owned farming operation that is ” an essential business?” If you can answer “yes” to these questions, you should consider this opportunity.
Our client is a potato farming operation focused on continuously improving the quality and quantity of its products that are delivered to its customers. Our client has been a family farm for over 70 years with farms in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and South America. Our client incorporates state-of-the art processes and technology with a modern fleet of equipment.
As Farm Manager you will be responsible for the general supervision of all farming operations of up to 2500 acres, including planting, growing, and harvesting a potato crop. This will be a dual role of operations management and continuous improvement of operational structure and development. Responsibilities will also include training personnel, managing/planning daily operations and budget development/execution. You will have some responsibility for farm operations in Howe, IN and may provide support farms in other locations. This is a very hands-on role including field engagement. You will manage a team of up to 50 employees, both full time and seasonal.
As Farm Manager you will:
- Plan and schedule resources, employees, and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting
- Ensure the effective management of multiple farm locations
- Implement crop plans and strategies
- Ensure maintenance of cost effective and high-standard production
- Estimate production costs and determine the high quality standards
- Monitor the schedule and set labor schedules as required
- Provide necessary training
- Make decisions regarding the operating unit’s layout, size, and range of service or design and arrangement of the work process
- Select and maintain equipment, supervising product standards and enforcing quality control programs
- Work with managers effectively to execute the policies and goals of the organization
- Keep abreast of health, safety strategies and adhering to GAP policies
- Supervise and inspire a team of workers and review the work performance of your team
Your background should include:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Associates degree will be considered
- 7-10 years of Farming experience which may be growing up on farm or working on a farm during your career
- Experience with a vegetable farm
- Experience supervising a team of at least 50 employees
- Experience managing a budget
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to travel to other locations when needed
- Must be willing to work very long hours during planting, growing, and harvesting
Prefer local candidates, but will consider assisting with relocation.