The Legal Billing Specialist is responsible for activities related to the firm’s billing process for specific portfolios as assigned. This individual will work with billing attorneys as well as associated internal and external clients to ensure that the processing of pro formas is consistently completed in an accurate and timely manner. This individual may also create and produce reports and analytics related to assigned accounts upon request.
- Manage the full cycle billing relationships and processes for a designated portfolio of client matters.
- Establish, foster and maintain professional and collaborative relationships with attorneys, staff and clients to ensure account support for both attorney and client specifications as well as ensuring attorneys receive and return accurate pro formas in a timely manner.
- Check rates and guidelines; have rates revalued as appropriate; monitor fee caps, discounts and other non-standard billing arrangements; track disbursements; monitor progress against approved budgets; and communicate with appropriate parties with respect to write-offs.
- Review pro formas, make preliminary edits and route to appropriate attorneys for review.
- Research, analyze and respond to underlying issues and inquiries.
- Work with attorneys and staff to finalize invoices.
- Submit finalized bills in appropriate format, ensuring compliance with outside counsel guidelines.
- Communicate directly with clients as requested or as established and provide clients with requested reports or information related to special billing, collection arrangements and any other administrative matter(s).
- Monitor client trust accounts, accurate payment application, and unapplied funds resolution throughout the life cycle of assigned accounts.
- Assist with the set-up of electronic clients including but not limited to monitoring the submission of electronic invoices, assisting with troubleshooting and proactively following up regarding acceptance and timely payment of e-bills.
- Provide detail-based documentation, statistics and rate analysis related to assigned accounts upon request.
- Maintain working familiarity with current client billing guidelines & special fees as scanned in Elite both at the client or matter level.
- Participate in continuous improvement projects.
- Perform other functions and duties as assigned.
The Legal Billing Specialist must have at least 5 years of law firm billing and account management experience. A solid working knowledge of Excel is required. Aderant experience is preferred. Qualified individuals will possess strong analytical abilities, solid communication and interpersonal skills as well as flexibility to ensure deadlines are consistently met.