Are you a Product Design Engineer with experience designing injection molded products that contain many small parts? Are you a Product Design Engineer who wants to play an integral role in the growth of a well- established publicly held company? If you can answer “yes” to these questions, you should consider this opportunity.
Our client is a global manufacturer that is a leader in innovative and quality manufacturing of closures and dispensing systems. Our client has been in business over 49 years and serves a huge range of markets– health & beauty, food & beverage, and industrial. Our client supplies both boutique manufacturers and the world’s top brands with Drum Closures, Food & Beverage Caps, Dispensing, and Custom Rigid Packaging. Our client is part of a publicly held company and has product development centers in the US, UK, and India. You will be part of the Product Development team headquartered in Auburn, IN. You will report to a Director of New Product Development.
As Product Design Engineer, in a very “hands-on role” a summary of your overall role will be:
- Responsible for undertaking a full range of engineering activities in line with all relevant process, quality and other requirements, supplying specialist advice and support across projects and to other functions as appropriate.
- Responsible for Product development from concept to design across a number of projects at any one time from existing product improvement to new product development ensuring customer satisfaction at all times.
- Responsible for ensuring projects in on time and to budget ensuring they meet customer requirements managing resources to achieve the desired output.
- Responsible for working with sales and customers to identify Voice of the Customer requirements, and present concepts and design reviews to ensure Critical to Quality aspects are identified early in the project.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for generation and delivery of concept and manufacturing design definitions, based on technical specifications, requirements and other constraints
- Preparation and deliver of progress reports against project plans
- Managing the conceptual development for new product development using 3D CAD (Preferably Pro-E or Solid Works)
- Making Proto Typing & Testing for validations.
- Making Design Detailing; Analyze Designs, Identify Risks & Prepare Mitigation Plans.
- Ability to Analyze Simulations, Basic Engineering Assessments.
- Cost Estimates, Make Plans to meet Target Costs.
- Quality & Reliability Improvements by Design.
- Participating in developing and maintain relevant engineering processes and procedures
- Supporting the identification of business opportunities
- Apply/Demonstrate Engineering Capabilities in Design Detailing and problem solving on existing products and product improvement
- Liaising with internal and external suppliers for tooling/part quotations
- Keeping up to date in relevant technical areas; develop skills and capabilities and supply support and expertise to others as required (including supporting the development of the design engineer as required)
- Support tool design signoff
- Performing laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations.
- Preparing full DVP&R Testing (Design Verification Plan and Report)
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
Your background must include:
- BSME of BSMET or related technical degree
- Minimum of 5 years of product design experience in the design of injection molded components, with a strong preference for sprayers/pumps including engine assembly experience
- Automated multi-part assembly experience required
- The ability to work on 5-10 projects simultaneously
- 3D CAD (Pro-E or Solid Works) experience, with a willingness to spend 40-50% of your time doing 3D modeling
- Experience with MS Project
- Knowledge of FMEA/QFD/DVP &R
- Experience in part conceptualization to implementation
- Knowledge of VA VE tools
- Root cause analysis experience and problem- solving skills
- Green Belt 6 Sigma preferred
- Experience with statistical tools (minitab, DRMEAs, etc) preferred
- Simulation tool experience (finite element analysis) preferred; experience with statistical tools preferred
- Ability to work under own initiative in a small team
- Detail conscious
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to plan and organize workload and prioritize
- Strong team player
- Strong ability to communicate effectively
- Willingness to travel up to 10% domestically and internationally
Prefer local candidates but will consider assisting with relocation.