As our Senior Automation Engineer you will plan, organize and execute assigned electrical engineering projects as it relates to the design, startup, commissioning, and aftermarket support of OEM bag making machinery and other related web handling equipment. This includes (but not limited to) sizing/selection of electrical components, system layout/design, machine programming, as well as testing/commissioning support of machine lines. Provide technical assistance with the team and other associated departments. Researches and develops new utilization of electrical components. Other duties as assigned by the engineering manager.
This individual will mentor the team to grow in their ability to utilize improved automation solutions for related design applications
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs and coordinates the electrical design, development, startup, and commissioning of new products or modifications of existing equipment.
- Able to communicate effectively when coordinating design efforts with other electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing engineers.
- Programming PLC’s (IEC languages), Motion control, HMI’s, and other peripheral equipment as it relates to bag making/web handling machine lines.
- Demonstrates an intimate knowledge of programming techniques involved with the motion control of web handling equipment (web registration, rotary knife applications, etc.).
- Responsible for providing customer assistance with electrical issues on installed machines.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of local and national codes (i.e. UL508, OSHA, NFPA79, etc.) as well as company standards for design and safety.
- Responsible for the accuracy of design and the quality of the final detailed electrical drawings.
- Communicate and present with manufacturing, assembly and service to resolve conflicts, reviews designs, and incorporates suggestions in improvements.
- Must stay current on new developments in component technologies and trends in the industrial and motion control industries.
- Expected to produce designs, which comply with our engineering standards, which apply to the locale in which the machine is sold.
- Participates in the design review process for all assigned projects. Communicates with manufacturing, assembly and service to resolve conflicts, review design, and incorporates suggestions for improvement.
- Corrects design problems, errors or inaccuracies found in design. Processes non-conforming material reports, engineering change notices, and engineering change requests when required.
- Participates in the design estimation process, which includes determining the feasibility of design, estimates design times required, assembly time, test time and project costs.
- Communicates with the Technical Publication Department to maintain accuracy of technical information for the customer manuals.
- Coordinates and performs testing of new technologies.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Education and/or Experience
Requires bachelor’s degree in engineering Strong PLC/HMI/motion programming and effective communication skills are required. Extensive background in machinery troubleshooting in an OEM environment.