Progressive regional CPA firm is currently searching for a Tax Manager to specialize in Sales Tax within their State and Local Tax group. Candidates need a minimum of six years of U. S. CPA firm tax experience. Prefer Big-4, national, or large local CPA firm Tax experience as a specialist in state & local tax with an emphasis on sales tax. Candidates must be either U. S. citizens or Permanent Residents. May consider a transfer of an existing H-1 visa.
This firm is very entrepreneurial and consulting oriented, and has been ranked among the best CPA firms to work for in the U. S. Clients include both SEC and closely held corporations, along with high net worth individuals in a variety of industries. They are a great alternative to the Big 4 for prospective employees, as well as clients seeking more personalized service. They do not maintain a high stress, demanding 'corporate' culture, and employees are not treated as a number or one of the masses. Work environment is not at all typical of the public accounting grind and they offer a very reasonable work/life balance.
- Performs diversified tax assignments under the direction of the senior manager, director, or partner.
- Demonstrates competency in accounting technical skills, state and local tax knowledge, work quality, and application of professional and Firm standards.
- Meets time constraints and client deadlines.
- Participates in planning and scheduling client engagements.
- Directs and instructs assistants, where applicable, in work to be performed and working paper review.
- Prepares state tax returns, with a focus on sales tax and property tax..
- Suggests client tax planning ideas to the senior manager, director or Partner.
- Prepares routine correspondence to client for approval and signature of a Partner; writes comments for management letters.
- Drafts technical memoranda and technical updates.
- Proactively takes ownership of projects, seeing them through to ultimate completion & delivery to client.
- Prepares other reports, projects and duties as may be assigned.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Punctually enters time and expenses daily to support efficient billing processes.
- Begins to develop referral sources, which may include involvement in community, business and professional organizations.
- Increasingly builds knowledge base of the Firm's industry lines and service offerings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of state sales tax rules, regulations and audit procedures.
- Proficiency in use of computers and computer accounting and tax software programs.
- Well-rounded knowledge of accounting principles and corporate (federal and state) income taxes. Ability to learn and prepare state sales tax and state property tax returns.
- Ability to organize work and projects, prioritize and meet deadlines, and to complete work in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Ability to reason and effectively multi-task.
- Ability to meet and present with clients and state revenue officials in-person.
- Supervises seniors, staff accountants and assistants with assignments, instructs them in work to be performed, reviews work done and directs necessary revisions.
- Proactively shares knowledge and takes ownership of developing people.
- Frequent same day travel for work at clients' offices, meetings, and seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings, or seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Minimal Hazards. General office working conditions.
- At least three (6) years' experience in public accounting, demonstrating a progression in complexity of auditing and accounting tasks and tax knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, or Master's degree in accounting.
- Either hold a current and valid law degree and membership to a state bar, a CPA's license, or be working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA exam, or bar exam.
- If licensed as a CPA, should be a member in good standing with the AICPA.
- Working knowledge of state and local tax projects and concepts.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English.
- Explore various industries area working towards developing an area of specialization or niche practice
- Proactively seeks knowledge, new task and increased responsibilities.
Salary : $100,000 – $150,000