SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
The senior software engineer leads a team of software engineers for designing, automotive machine system software. These designs will be a mixture of standards, past projects, and new. This person works with internal teams (controls engineers, mechanical engineers, project managers, commissioning) external suppliers (controls design, software), and customers. We have a broad customer base including traditional automotive (GM, Chrysler, Ford) and others
As a senior software engineer you will start a project at the beginning and follow it through final customer acceptance. You will review customer specifications, standards / past projects, and lead a team of other software engineers in designing the complete software portion of the machine. You will be responsible for producing a quality design on schedule, getting customer acceptance, reviewing software from other software engineers, and assisting as required while the machine is being built and debugged. Some travel is possible for customer meetings, field checks, installation support, and commissioning.
The following requirements are essential for this position:
- Experienced in designing software for industrial machines from scratch
- Competent in PLC and HMI design
- Able to work well in a team-oriented environment
- Must have good time management skills and be able to meet deadlines
- Experience in understanding and following customer specifications
- Experience in leading a team of software engineers
- Experience in Rockwell and Siemens PLCs and HMIs
- Good communications skills (written and verbal)
- Familiarity with IEC1131 languages (ladder, structured text, flow charts, function blocks)
- Ability to follow standards
- Ability to combine standards, past project designs, and new designs
- Ability to check software from other engineers for errors or inconsistencies
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret mechanical, fluids, and electrical prints
- Ability to draft standard software templates to be used by other software engineers
- Ability to estimate tasks and the duration of tasks required to complete a project
- Ability to manage software change requests and open issues
- Ability to write technical documents and reports.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Overall Experience — a minimum of five years’ experience related to software design
- Job Training — employees in this position usually require training involving on-the-job experience, informal training with experienced workers, and formal training with qualified experts.
- Education — a bachelor’s degree in electrical / computer engineering or electronics technology and a minimum of five years related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Travel may be required for visiting customer sites, external suppliers etc. Possession of a valid U.S. passport may be required. Travel can be expected to assist in installing equipment and commissioning in the customer’s facility. The length of stay will vary depending on machine type and complexity, but a total of 20% is possible.
Job Type: Full-time
- Software Design: 5 years