- Supply Chain RecruitersDirector of Transportation
The Director of Transportation manages, optimizes and directs day-to-day execution of the final-mile in-market delivery network serving the stores and the regional distribution centers. The position will regularly review, plan and execute in-market delivery programs to maximize service level, safety, and performance while communicating merchandising initiatives to Distribution / Logistics teams. This position also supports reverse logistics areas such as recycling programs, ecommerce, and store remodel projects. The Director of Transportation manages a team to develop alternative solutions, maximize the efficiency and minimize cost and time to deliver to our customers.
- Manage team that evaluates carrier rate proposal responses; award markets based on responses to ensure customer service levels are met.
- Regularly review and analyze network delivery systems, channels and solutions to ensure maximum success of the transportation function.
- Conduct and lead conference calls with carriers and the field to address service issues.
- Manage the contracted in-market carrier relationships with several fleet operators related to all aspects of day-to-day fleet executional requirements. Perform in-market loop truck request for proposals (RFPs) and re-negotiations in collaboration with the Transportation team.
- Use and implement tools, build and improve route efficiencies to reduce transportation delivery expenses.
- Design and make recommendations on new markets and ways to improve service levels.
- Conduct and lead conference calls with the field to review designs and solicit feedback; making improvements as required.
- Establish and monitor safety, service, and performance metrics for the final mile.
- Generate ad-hoc reporting as required to support the Transportation team.
- Extract data from SAP and other systems to create analysis on markets.
- Forecast and track all transportation expenses and report to senior leadership and field.
- Ensure invoices are paid in a timely manner with proper GL assignment and within negotiated vendor/carrier payment terms.
- Provide month end accrual numbers to Finance and Accounting for Profit and Loss reporting.
- Manage financial analysis regarding budget development, accrual reporting and variance analysis.
- Bachelor degree in Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Finance or Business is required.
- Master degree is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing private fleet and third party carriers on route designs, on-time service, financials and metrics is required.
- Experience managing third party carriers for ocean freight and customs is required.
- Experience implementing and using dynamic routing software (i.e. TMS) is required.
- Experience managing a team doing dynamic routing and load consolidation is required.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills are required.
- Strong analytical skills are required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience using SAP is preferred.
- Ability to communicate and work with building leaders and carriers.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Repetitive movement of hands and fingers, typing or writing.
- Occasional standing and walking.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Talk and hear.
- Regular overnight travel.